Opening in 1923, Springvale Ballroom is one of the oldest operating ballrooms in northeast Ohio. The facility was originally opened by the Biddulph family and remained in the family until 1994 when it was purchased by the City of North Olmsted, saving it from demolition.
English immigrant, John Biddulph, purchased the land Springvale is located on in 1840. In 1923, John’s grandson, Fred Biddulph, built the original dance hall on his grandfather’s farm to generate a second livelihood as well as be able to share the love of ballroom dancing with his wife Clara. On May 19, 1923, Fred & Clara paid $15 for the right to open the dancing pavilion, and held their first dance just four days later, on May 23, 1923. Five years later in 1928, a five hole golf course was added to the property by the Butternut Ridge Golf Club, and the dance hall was converted into a club house. Golfers paid 25 cents a round on the original five hole golf course. During the mid-1930’s, the Biddulph Family reclaimed both the golf course and dance hall and retitled it Springvale. In 1937, 4 holes were added to complete the front 9 of the golf course. Ballrooms reached a highpoint of popularity during the 1930’s and 1940’s, serving as places for social gatherings. During World War II, servicemen on leave paid a nickel a dance at Springvale. In 1953 the 9-hole golf course was expanded into an 18-hole, semi-private course. After Fred Biddulph’s death in 1957, his daughter, Rose (Mrs. William Scheeff), managed the dance hall and his son, George, oversaw the golf course. In 1994 the dance hall was open 5 nights a week, offering ballroom as well as country-western dancing and classes. In 1994 the City of North Olmsted bought the course from the family and saved it from demolition. Since taking ownership both the course and ballroom have undergone extensive rejuvenation and are booming with more business each and every day.
Sponsored by the Landmarks Commission of North Olmsted, the Olmsted Historical Society as well as The Ohio Historical Society, the Springvale Ballroom received a Historical Marker in 2007.